Heel vs laces = different foot strike assessment

I’ve done four runs (3 calibration runs) today with the run scribes on the laces, and consistently have a forefoot strike.

On a fast run this evening (where I know I was much more forefooting), I put the run scribes on the heels (and reset with the phone app from laces to heels) and had a mid foot strike.

Why is this?

The lace position is almost at the top of the laces, and the heel position is snug centred on the rim of the shoe heel.

I’ve observed similar results. In my case it appears to have a lot to do with the shoes I’m wearing.

With Altras my results are quite different based on mounting, and appear to be more forward biased when lace mounted. I believe with these shoes the heel mounting is accurate based on shoe wear pattern.

With other shoes, Hoka is my recollection, the footstrike results are very close with either mounting.

Thanks Alan. In fact, the heel mounts were on the Cloudracer, and the lace mounts on the On Cloud, and the angle of the shoe designs seems a little different, so this could account for the difference.

I’m going to try a stair repeats session with the pods heel mounted on the On Clouds. As I can only land forefoot for this session (whether going up or down), it will be interesting to see how the strike characteristic is determined.

I think you may be mounting the units too high on your laces. The installation video shows them much lower. https://youtu.be/uIipS93kukk

Thanks Eric. That’s possible. I ran yesterday with the pods in laces position and lower placed, but still had forefoot as a result which corresponded to how I felt I was landing.

Will try the heels position in the same shoes.

Same for me. I had always a heel to midfoot strike (RunScribe mounted on the heel. Today I got my new RunScribes wanted to test power and removed my Stryd and mounted the RunScribe on the laces. Tada - forefoot to midfoot. So it seems that the heel mounting gives me a more “heel-orientation” and the laces give me a more forefoot-orientation".

In reality I am running mid-to forefoot, wearing minimalistic Vivobarefoot-shoes.

Interesting…

I thought the two peaked impact signal in a heel strike makes it relatively easy to isolate from other strikes, regardless of where the device is mounted.

Maybe the fundamental impact signal gets affected based on where you mount, but is this a widespread issue or just something seen in isolated cases… ? RS could easily address that question…

the 2 peaked impact signal can be more of an indication of landing ahead of center of mass creating a braking effect which can be done as a heel striker or forefoot striker. Landing more under your body tends to put most people in a mid/forefoot strike and reduces the double peak, but is more a cause of foot placement in relation to the body vs the type of footstrike.

Given a reasonable position of feet in relation to center of mass, the forefoot striker landing ahead of center of mass would not create a significant 2 peaked impact signal as the heel striker will. The heel strike causes a very prominent 2 peak, very easy to pick up and isolate.

Hi, adding my own question here since the title fits my question.
I have been running a couple of runs with my Asics Kayano and lace mount with midfoot on the left and heel strike on right as a result.
Today I ran with my Mizuno Emperor - thinner, less cushion, less stability and lower drop and while still midfoot striker on the left, my right changed to forefoot.
Is this an effect of switching position of the RS+ to the heel or is it the shoes or both?
(I do plan to change the position od the Asics as well, just don’t have the cradles yet, Mizunos have a low heel where I can use the clips)

maybe more interesting to me - the pronation velocity was reduced by a factor of 10 from my Asics (269/262) to Mizuno (32/22) is this an effect of heel mount? or is it really that big difference between shoes. I notice many more changes, such as lower Impact G from about 13 to 9G.

@Balcmeg - could you post a pic of your laces mounting?

Hi @Tim
Unfortunately, I removed the cradles yesterday to make space for my Polar Stride Sensor again until/if we get the BT issue fixed. In any case the cradles were attached like on this picture on my Mizunos (I use them since my Asics are black and hard to see the cradle on the pic).
The only difference is that I had the laces weave into the cradle as well so it would stay in place.

EDIT:
Might all be my error… I looked again and noticed a positive pronation excursion instead of previously negative. Double checked and I have mixed up the LED colours when i re-paired the pods after reinstalling the app while testing the BT. Ignore this for now - even if I am sure Ill have questions when I get good data later on.

I Assume there are no way to change the position of the pod AFTER the run is done?

a perfect setup for this kind of shoes is to weave laces into cradle and set the cradle over the “lace lock” (the yellow stripe under the “mizuno” logo, with the kanji printed), i’ll post a photo ASAP. perfect safe and stable setup for Sayonara 2&3 and for all Rider series (run twice 100km races in Rider 19 with that cradle position without any problem)

Thank you
No picture needed, I understand the concept.

Correct, this is not possible.