Pronation relation with duck feet

Just trying out my runscribe on my vibram for the first time, fun stuff!

My right foot is more “duck foot’ed” than my left. It’s pretty obvious if i’m walking / running casually without attempt to correct it. It also manifest on the shoes’ wear pattern (right shoes outside heel wear faster), and right side of my long pants over the inside of the heel would wear as it sometimes rub my left foot. Left leg & foot looks pretty normal.

When I noticed it and tried to correct for it, I noticed that my left leg and right leg and foot are shaped differently. Left foot arch is higher (even both feet are quite flat in wider scheme of things), and if I have to point my right foot straight forward when I stand or walk, I feel like it’s only archive-able if I turn the whole right leg inward, point the right knee slightly in. Now I don’t know if this is result of result of bad walk/run forms over years, or the left v.s. right were born with some differences.

So I was curious to see what insights will runscribe give me. From the first run, on the symmetry score, efficiency and shock are symmetric while motion is high imbalance. Specifically, left foot has high pronation and high velocity (-19.7 degree and 782 degree/s) while right foot has low pronation and avg velocity (-9 degree and 481 degree/s)

Quite surprised by this result. From what I read duck foot is more associated with over pronation so I would have thought my right foot will pronate more… What’s wrong with my leg/feet!? Time to visit some doctors?

I’m going to try different shoes to see if what difference would they make. The runScribe data is interesting in the sense that, in my experience when I run / train more, my left angle would have some minor pain - maybe my left foot doesn’t pronate enough to absorb shock? I’m still very interested in finding out more about my right foot situation, can the duck feet be corrected, if yes how…

Hello Byron - I’m afraid I can’t help with your “duck feet” problem but I’d be interested to hear more about your experiences using Runscribe with Vibrams.

I’m on a mission to reduce the shock impact to my knees (I have osteoarthritis in both knees) and there is some research that suggests barefoot running might help.

Can you share any data which compares the shock metrics of running in your Vibrams vs running in “regular” shoes?

Thanks!

I do intend to compare different shoes as well.
So far I have had couple of runs between Vibram v.s. a pair of NB high support shoes. I pronate more on my vibram but shock is lower on vibram. I guess it makes sense, without much cushioning I work harder to land softer on the vibram, and either have to pronate more in order to do it, or the high stability shoes prevented me from doing that…