Tagging "pain points" vs. ability to tag post-run biofeedback

Hi,

This is my first post so, first, let me say that I’ve been using run scribe for about 2 months now, and I’ve found it to be very valuable for understanding the biomechanics of my own running form and for improving it. Thanks for making this very cool gadget and data analysis tool!

Second, I want to offer a question / comment about tagging in the dashboard, which I’m prompted to bring up after seeing the new “experiments” sidebar in the dashboard:

Have you ever thought about offering a way for users to create tags for post-run bio feedback?

I understand the reason for the “pain point” tagging, which, as you say under The Importance of Tagging in the new “experiments” sidebar on the dashboard, is for tagging any pain you had on a run. Certainly, if you have a noticeable pain event on a run, it’s good to tag it and make note of it. But in my experience, if you’re having a noticeable bio-mechanical pain event while running , it means that you’ve been ignoring some kind of accumulating feedback that has been trying to signal something.

For me, it’s those more subtle nuances in the day(s) after a run that I find more useful for tracking: for example, things like DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness); differential fatigue and/or warmth in one of the calf+achilles complexes and not the other; or after a long a long run, a clear feeling, for example, that the R glute got more of a workout burn and did more work than the L glute, whereas the L hip flexor was more sore (suggesting that there was good hip extension from the R side but not the L etc.).

I have found that correlating these more subtle bio-feedback signals to my run scribe metrics has been helpful, but as is, the dashboard doesn’t really allow us to do that (so I try to make a note of it in other places where I keep a running log).

That said, I realize that if rS developers like you set the tags on your end (as opposed to user-generated tags), the tags probably will be more valuable for your meta-analysis of the data that the collective run scribe community generates. (I’m assuming that’s part of what you’re up to, with “experiments” and your pitch to researchers to use rS for experiments: to get users to better organize and tag their data so that you’ll be able to better operationalize the rS data pool for running researchers to use?) I also realize that you probably don’t want to over complicate things on the dashboard, given that there’s already a lot going on with the dashboard (which by the way is very well laid out and presented! Well done there!). But if you’ve ever tossed around the idea letting users create their own tags, or other ways to nuance the tagging for running bio-feedback, I would encourage you to do it.

Just a thought, and keep up the good work!

Mark